- Wear clothes and shoes that you do not mind getting dirty.
- Pack a lunch and a drink (no glass bottles/containers)
- Bring a towel to sit on.
- We will be outside the entire time. Be prepared for the weather. You may want to wear layers and put on sunscreen before leaving the house.
- You may want to bring a container (plastic bag or SMALL bucket) to take your rock samples home. They can get heavy, so be prepared to carry them yourself.
- No electronics or cameras are allowed on the the trip.
Also, Friday is Field Day. The weather is looking rather uncertain at this point. I am hoping a decision will be made Thursday evening regarding the schedule for Friday. I'm sure Mrs. Hand will call if the decision is made to postpone it to our rain date of June 5.
Yesterday, your child brought home a paper that will allow them to retake the SOL if they should receive a score of 375-399. Since this score is very close to the passing score of 400, Henrico County has opted to allow students a chance to bring up their score. Please sign and return this form to allow your child to participate in the retaking of the test. There will be targeted instruction given prior to the retake in order to help your child in their weak areas.
While it is a whirlwind week with many fun activities, and as we get closer to the end of school, our focus is still on learning in the classroom. We have finished all the SOLs for fifth grade in science and your child is leading the class in a review of the fourth and fifth grade curriculum that they have studied in the past year. I am pleased with their presentations and will be sharing them with each child so they can use them to review at home.
In math, we are still working with SOL 5.8 which encompasses the many facets of measuring. We are finished with the perimeter, area, and volume strand of this SOL and are moving on to measuring items with rulers and the comparisons of different measures. Please review any study guides that come home to ensure that they understand how the capacity of certain sizes are related.
In writing, we are working on Wordly Wise this week. The students all finished up their story using quotations last week and I am in the process of grading them. So far, the stories have been really great!